This year has been a joy for us here at Gallivance. We took you along with us to 26 countries and 74 cities across the globe.
You camped with us around the US in our new pop-up camper, and shared our elation of finishing our Basecamp Gallivance renovation. We sifted through our statistics and comments to discover your favorite posts this year, and the results were fascinating. You certainly have wide-ranging tastes – from travel stories and gear advice to personal anecdotes and photo essays. So in true David Letterman style, we’ll start with #10:
10. Bushwacked in Krakow After traveling the world for so many years we’ve learned to “expect the unexpected” when it comes to bathrooms. But James never dreamed he’d meet his match in the uber-modern bathroom of our Krakow apartment.
9. The Wroclaw Gnomes: Too Much Fun! If you thought that gnomes were only found in kitschy gardens … think again. Wroclaw, Poland has transformed these vertically-challenged creatures into high art and the best scavenger hunt on the planet.
8. Capture the Colour: Blue on Blue When we were invited to enter the Capture the Colour photo contest, we decided to ask your opinion on which photos to submit. You were fabulous! And although we didn’t win, we sure had a blast getting to know you better.
7. Finding Common Ground How do you find a way to connect with people when you don’t speak their language? Terri faced this challenge as a young teacher in Washington D.C. You’ll love the solution.
6. The House that Chocolate Built With an opening sentence that paired chocolate and sex we got your attention. But our love of unusual architecture lead us to a fascinating discovery in Barcelona.
5. The Global Cottage Despite all our cultural differences across the planet, millions of us have one overriding thing in common: we live in modest dwellings. From gypsy wagons and RVs to house boats and bungalows. We called these shelters “Global Cottages” and they captured your imagination.
4. The Lotus: An Exquisite Flower and Symbol of Faith If there’s one thing we’ve learned about you this year it’s that you love symbolism. This post really struck a chord on so many levels.
3. Starbucks in Bali: Coffee is Optional Even if you’re not a coffee drinker … and hate Starbucks, you loved this little slice of heaven in Ubud, Bali.
2. 7 Reasons to Rent an Apartment the Next Time You Travel If you want to transform yourself from a “tourist” into a “traveler” and live like a local on your next trip, we shared a whopping 42 ideas and money-saving tips on renting an apartment in our most popular 3-part series.
1. Travel Zoom Cameras: The Perfect Compromise We were surprised that this post was far and away our most popular for the year – but in retrospect, maybe we shouldn’t have been. Most of our readers are travelers as well as bloggers, and when bouncing around the globe, you struggle with how to take great photos with small, lightweight gear.
* * * * *
So, that’s it for us this year. Did we miss any of your personal faves? Just let us know! Also, check out these great 2013 retrospectives from some of our favorite bloggers – you will love them.
• Bronwyn’s Top 5 Posts over at Journeys of the Fabulist will keep you laughing into the new year. Her post “Twenty-four Gift Ideas for Travellers, Expats, Minimalist and All Other Human Beings” wins our “Best of the Season Award.”
• Jeff at Planet Bell is an astounding photographer and talented, hilarious travel writer. He highlights 20 of his Best/Favorite Photos of 2013.
• Nicole at Thirdeyemom celebrates a year filled with family adventures and her incredible global volunteer work in The Wonderful Joys of 2013.
• Sue at Travel Tales of Life just finished her first marathon and survived the earlier floods in Alberta Canada. Check out her Best of 2013.
• James at Plus Ultra writes an elegant travel blog that will transport you to jaw-dropping destinations. We really enjoyed his 2013: a year in review.
• Cathy at Nomad, Interrupted is the definition of intrepid. Her post Twenty-Thirteen will blow your mind with her adventures.
• Leslie at Chic Adventurer had an incredible travel year, with both highs and lows. Check out her Best and Worst Travel Moments of 2013.
• Suzanne at The Travelbunny has had a fantastic year of travel which included flying goats! I kid you not. See her Travelbunny Highlights 2013 for more.
• Bama at What an Amazing World provides the smart, compassionate insight to destinations and cultures that all travelers crave. You’ll enjoy his 2013, The Journey Continues.
• And we love Jennifer’s tongue-in-cheek post at Expat Lingo with her Top Ten Predictions for 2014.
* * * * *
The final and most important thought that we want to leave you with in 2013 is:
“YOU TOTALLY ROCK!”
Thanks for your friendship, love, ideas, support, opinions, and great conversations!
Wishing you all the very best in 2014. Can’t wait to find out what’s ahead for all of us.