Travel Tales With A Twist!
We started traveling in our 20s and never looked back. When we found an opportunity to move to Africa for our first overseas working/living adventure, we jumped at it and grabbed a one-way ticket to adventure. The experience humbled and educated us, imbuing a worldview that sustains us today. And it fueled our appetite for more.
Now, over thirty years later, and hundreds of one-way tickets, we are experienced global nomads wandering the world…still lovin’ it and still married!
Terri loves people and became an educator, marketer, business executive, and international management consultant based in Europe.
After working overseas for more than a decade, we stepped back from our thriving careers and realized we wanted to:
• Simplify our lives – seriously!
• Become financially independent so we could embrace travel as a lifestyle
• Base ourselves in the US to establish our little “Basecamp Gallivance”
And that’s where we are today! So here are 7 quirky facts about us:
2. Terri walked 172 miles in London one week. Since it’s her favorite city, she was bound and determined to complete every self-guided walking tour she could find.
3. James is a bedbug magnet! He picked up his first batch in Bogor, Indonesia and it’s only been downhill from there.
4. Terri can wiggle her ears. Kids and dogs love it.
6. Terri was a tap dancer as a kid. In her final performance (age 10) her costume came untied from around her neck, fell down, exposing very little. Mortified, she ran off stage and has not tap danced since.
7. Although we’re not into counting, many people ask how many countries we’ve traveled to and lived in. So, one night over a glass of wine, we tried to reconstruct our peripatetic lives. We’ve lived in 5 countries (USA, Sudan, United Kingdom, Netherlands, and Germany). And we’ve journeyed to 65 countries (and way more places that should be considered countries, but aren’t)! Fortunately, there are over 125 left to explore.
You may be wondering about the origin of our blog title. Our friends and family say we gallivant from one place to another. Hence Galli – Vance!
We’re so glad to you’re here and hope you’ll find something to inspire your travels, plan your next trip … or just make you smile. There are over 550 posts here, so if you’re wondering what to do next, START HERE.
See you on the road,
Terri & James
P.S. If you’d like to make a comment, please jump in at the bottom of any post. If you prefer to send an email, go for it. We are often on the move and will answer as quickly as possible. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.